Sunday, July 3, 2016

Becoming a Structural Designer

Not all Civil Engineer can do Structural Design, not even those who top their class in college can easily prepare a structural design if they don't have practice. Believe me I know. I've been practicing my professional career for almost a decade now, and I've tried anything and almost everything there is in this field. Then recently, i had the chance to become a structural engineer and I grabbed it. I thought, if they can, so can I. 

I've worked as Quantity Surveyor doing estimates and attending bids, I've also worked as Site Engineer, then later as Project Manager, then designer in water network, then detailer in design firm, then project director in our own construction firm, then back as a designer of water network for a utility Company, which i technically become an expert of. Recently I was offered a promotion in water network position, at the same time we had an opening for civil/structural engineer of the same level/position, and I choose the later. Without much knowledge with structural design, I took on the next challenge.

A lot of my office mates of course couldn't understand why i choose that, i don't blame them, cause i sometimes couldn't understand myself as well. I'm 30 years old Civil Engineer, who's still a junior Design Engineer in our firm, but i'm giving myself only 1 year to turn the tides. So i'm now in the process of learning, that's why i'm writing this blog to document my learning procedures, hopefully it could be useful to other who suddenly had a change of heart and wanted to try the most challenging and most technical Civil Engineering Specialty.


6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your next career move.. I am also currently working in water network modeling, but here I am, reading about structural design. Though there are indeed different field of civil engineering, it is somewhat embarrassing when youve been asked by your close friends and families about structural recommendation but since your not in that field you cant answer their question. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Likewise, I really wanted to pursue a career on structural designing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correct. Only a perfectionist can do structural design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soon, I will be a structural engineer! I'm working as a quantity surveyor now for almost 9 months already, my first job. I really wanted to be a structural engineer and soon I know I can be :D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's Right.
    All structural drawings must be follow National building Code of your countries. A civil engineer will be must know that Structural Design Criteria and Minimum Requirements for build structure. Other wise failed the structure.

    ReplyDelete